There's no reason to hope but we hope anyway.
A story of despite.
With no glimmer of change for the better on the horizon,
we fight the odds, the hurdles, the likelihood of a cruel status quo.
Mayor Bass, you appointed Staycee Dains as the new General Manager for Los Angeles Animal Services (LAAS). The interview process was set up in her favor with a “confidential panel” comprised of her associates from Human Animal Support Services (HASS). HASS is run by the former disgraced GM of LAAS Brenda Barnette, and their policies are destroying shelters across the country. Ms. Dains couldn’t handle the Long Beach shelter, so why would you give her six that are in a state of emergency? GM Staycee Dains’
Two Month Accomplishments:
1.) Added more color-coded KILL LISTS to FAST-TRACK pet KILLING
2.) Sold Breeder Licenses to unhoused people
3.) Handed out metal dog crates on Skid Row - but didn't enforce spay/neuter nor provide free spay and neuter.
Where's compassion? Where are innovative strategies or new ideas? Mayor Bass call a state of emergency and craft a plan to stop this crisis.
- Get the animal population under control
- Enforce spay/neuter laws and provide FREE spay/neuter
- Stop allowing animals to leave the shelter unfixed
- Stop selling breeder licenses with zero oversight, especially to unhoused individuals on Skid Row where the pet population has exploded
- Crack down on backyard breeders
- Market and promote adoptions
- Investigate the volunteer program (30 volunteers fired/suspended, only 14% of applications accepted)